As summer break comes to an end and the little ones (or not-so-little-anymore) head back to school, it is essential for both parents and kids to brush up on study habits. Simple tips can create a mountain of change for some, so we wanted to spread some bits of knowledge. This is for both parents and the kids who need a small review to make studying effective!
Image Credit: @pop.studygram
Develop a reward system
- Instill work habits and quality awareness.
- Small rewards can create huge positive outcomes.
- Avoid certain distractions
- Don’t distract your kid by completely eliminating the environment.
- No TV, but studies show depending on their learning styles, many kids work better with the radio or music playing.
Check in with your kids
- Check for signs of frustration.
- Ask them how they are doing and what progress they’ve made.
- Ask how they think they did after big milestones/projects/exams
For the kids:
Practice for tests!
- Use different study methods to engage different parts of the brain.
- Even if you think you know it, review it.
Planners and notes are your best friend
- Develop time awareness and allocation skills.
- Give time limits
- Focus on taking detailed notes in ways you can understand.
Strengths and weaknesses
- Be familiar with your boundaries and let them guide your studying and prioritization.